For this assignment, I took the five minute interview from the last assignment and scaled it down to about two minutes. We used an audio-editing software called Audacity. My initial reaction was that it was difficult to use. There were a lot of buttons and functions that I really had no idea how to use. However, after a brief training session, I found it to be relatively easy. Once I uploaded the file into Audacity, I ran through the full clip and marked where I wanted to make initial cuts. I then used the cut tool to take these parts out. This took out a lot of material I felt was unneeded. This included long pauses and parts that didn’t really flow well. As time went on, I became more precise with my edits, and got everything narrowed down to two minutes after nearly two hours of work.
I had some issues trying to cut out portions of sentences that dragged on. There was one instance where I was trying to get just a portion of what he said out and condense the sentence. It was hard to find the exact part I wanted to cut out, and when I combined the split sections, you could tell that it was edited. I didn’t really enjoy having to go back four or five times to redo the edit because it didn’t turn out right. However, I enjoyed the editing process overall. It’s a very meticulous process, and it takes time. You can’t rush perfection!
Nothing really surprised me about the editing process. The one thing I wish could have gone a bit more smoothly was the cutting process. I wanted there to be a way to stretch out the audio over a smaller time range so that you could select a more precise audio portion. I also wish that the splitting and piecing together of various audio portions was a bit easier. Like I said earlier, it’s a meticulous process. I enjoyed the process overall, however.